Business License Requirements & Application
Business License Forms
The following forms are necessary to obtain a business license:
Business License Online Application
Please click on the highlighted link below to apply online.
Rules & Requirements
- A Business License Tax Certificate must be obtained prior to conducting business in the City (Code 5.04.030)
- Any person operating a business from a private home or residence must obtain a Home Occupation Permit and Business License (Code 17.36.050)
- Any property owner renting out Residential or Commercial property including single family homes must obtain a license (Code 5.16.050)
- The use of any public sidewalk as a place of business for the sale of merchandise is prohibited (Code 5.88.020)
- Any person soliciting in the City must obtain a Business License Tax Certificate for the company that is being represented, and a Solicitor's Permit for each solicitor (Code 5.04.010)
- Any person who is running a Business/Rental Property without a current Business License/Rental License may be subject to penalties/fines which are contracted out to Avenu Insights and Analytics. You will receive communication in the form of a Cover Letter (PDF) and Daly City Compliance Letter (PDF). For more information, you may contact them directly at 800-967-0999 or online at the Avenu Insights and Analytics website.
Deadlines & Fees
The Business License Year begins October 1st and ends September 30th of the following year. In order to process all Business License Tax Certificate applications, the completed application and any other forms and information necessary must be returned with the proper fee enclosed.
The Business License tax and fees are nonrefundable.
The Business License Division is now accepting online payments. If you would like to pay by credit card remotely, you can send a request for a credit card authorization form to our email, firstname.lastname@example.org. Current acceptable payments are check or major credit card (Visa or MasterCard). Check payments should be made payable to "City of Daly City".
For more information, contact the Business License Division.
Disability Access & Compliance Fees
On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law Senate Bill 1186 which adds a state fee of $1 on any applicant for a local business license or renewal. Effective January 1, 2013 this fee will be required from all new business licenses or renewals.
On and after January 1, 2018, through December 31, 2023, the $1 additional fee is increased to $4. Starting January 1, 2024, the amount will reduce to $1.
The purpose of the fee is to provide a funding source for increased disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with the federal and state disability laws.
Disability Access Compliance
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies: