Renewing Books & Other Materials
Most items can be renewed up to five times. For your convenience, the Library offers a variety of methods for renewing.
The Peninsula Library System will automatically renew eligible items two days before the due date. The new due dates will be based on the original due dates. You will receive notification two days in advance of the due date alerting you which items have been renewed and which items cannot be renewed. Items with holds/reserves or that have reached the maximum renewal limit will not renew. The library account must be current and have a balance of fifteen dollars or less.
In addition to renewing, you can review the list of items you have checked out, see if you own any fines, check on the status of any holds you have placed, and search for books, videos, and other materials.
Log into Your Library Account. You will need your Library Card Barcode Number and PIN to log in:
- Your Library Card Barcode Number is the 14-digit number printed on the back of your Library Card.
- Your PIN is typically the last four digits of your telephone number.
If you have forgotten your PIN, you will need to contact the Library. Library staff cannot view your PIN, so you will need to create a new on.
From the main Library Account page, you can update your e-mail address (Modify Personal Info), change your PIN (you need to know your old one to do this), review your requests (holds), and view the list of items you currently have checked out.
To renew items you have checked out, select the text that tells you the next due date or the number of items you have out.
You can renew all the items you have checked out at once by selecting items 1-__, but remember that the new due date will be counted from the date of renewal not the original due date, so you may not want to renew your items too early.
To renew only some items, select the boxes next to those items and then click the Renew button.
If an item is already overdue, you may still be able to renew it. Renewing will stop more late fines from being added, but you will still owe for the days during which the item was overdue. In certain circumstances, you may not be able to renew it online; call the library for assistance.
Other Ways to Renew
- Call Your Local Library - A helpful library staff member will be happy to renew your items for you. You will need to provide your library card number.
- Library App - Download the PLS Library app on iTunes or Google Play to renew your library items via app on your smart phone or tablet.
- SMS Text Messaging - Sign up for Shoutbomb messaging service to renew your library items via text on your cell phone. Text SIGNUP to "email@example.com" and follow the messages. You will need to provide your library card number and PIN.