On November 23, 2020, the City Council adopted new regulations for short-term rentals in Daly City. A short-term rental is defined as a home or room within a home rented to an individual for 30 consecutive days or less. The regulations became effective on January 1, 2021.
The main regulations are summarized below. Please review Chapter 5.92 of the Daly City Municipal Code for the full list of requirements and regulations.
- The short-term rental must be conducted in the host's primary residence. Host must reside in the home for at least 265 days per year and have only one primary residence.
- Maximum 100 days per year for un-hosted stays (host not on-site during guest's stay). No limit on hosted stays (host on-site during guest's stay).
- Guest limit of two guests per bedroom plus two additional guests per stay
- Limit of one booking per property per day
- Host must designate a local responsible contact person, an individual who is local and will be available 24 hours per day to address any concerns or requests for assistance related to the short-term rental within one hour
- Hosts are responsible for paying transient occupancy taxes pursuant to Chapter 3.32 of the Daly City Municipal Code
Properties in the Coastal Zone
For properties located within the Coastal Zone, the new regulations will not become effective until the California Coastal Commission certifies an amendment to the City's local coastal program pursuant to Section 30514 of the California Public Resources Code. Please contact the Planning Division for more information and/or updates on this process.
How to Apply
A business license and Short-Term Rental Permit are required to operate a short-term rental in Daly City. More information on eligibility, host and short-term rental regulations, and application requirements is available in the Short-Term Rentals Guide and Application. The required documents include:
- Short-Term Rental Permit Application
- Payment for application fee. Payments methods include cash, credit card (complete the Credit Card Authorization Form), or a check made payable to City of Daly City.
- Two documents showing evidence of primary residency including a valid state-issued Driver’s License or Identication Card and any of the following: utility bill, property tax bill, credit card bill, voter registration, or bank statement. All documents submitted are subject to review and approval by the Planning Division.
- Notarized supplemental authorization form (if applicant is not the property owner)
- Short-Term Rentals Operator Primary Residence Certication and Indemnication and Waiver Agreement
When you are ready to submit your application and the required documents, please contact the Planning Division at 650-991-8033.
More information on business license requirements including the business license application can be found on the Business License Division website.
|Short-Term Rental Permit (New)||$225.00|
|Short-Term Rental Permit (Renewal)||$142.50|
|Short-Term Rental Permit (Review exceeding 1 hour of staff time)||$165.00 per hour|
|Business License||Minimum $110.00 per year|
Short-term rentals with a business license operating on or before January 1, 2021 will be considered existing, unpermitted uses. An amnesty period is being provided to allow hosts to conform to the new ordinance. The amnesty period will end on September 30, 2021. Existing short-term rental uses that do not conform to the requirements of this ordinance on or before this date must cease operation and are prohibited from resuming unless and until the use conforms to the requirements of the ordinance.
For questions regarding Short-Term Rental Permits, please contact the Planning Division by calling 650-991-8033. For any questions regarding business licenses and transient occupancy taxes, please contact the Business License Division at 650-991-5700 or visit the Business License Requirements website.
The approved ordinance and staff reports and drafts of the ordinance from the City Council meetings are available for download below.
- Ordinance 1440 (PDF)
- Nov. 9, 2020 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Nov. 9, 2020 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Sept. 28, 2020 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Sept. 28,2020 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Sept. 1, 2020 City Council Committee Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Jan. 13, 2020 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Jan. 13, 2020 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Nov. 25, 2019 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Nov. 25, 2019 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Oct. 28, 2019 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Oct. 28, 2019 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Oct. 14, 2019 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Oct. 14, 2019 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- March 11, 2019 Study Session Staff Report (PDF)