The City Council adopted new regulations for short-term rentals in Daly City that became effective on January 1, 2021. A short-term rental is defined as a home or room within a home rented to an individual for 30 consecutive days or less.
The main regulations are summarized below. Please review Chapter 5.92 of the Daly City Municipal Code for the full list of requirements and regulations.
- The short-term rental must be conducted in the host's primary residence (resides in home for at least 265 days per year)
- Maximum 100 days per year for un-hosted stays (host not on-site during guest's stay).
- No limit on hosted stays (host on-site during guest's stay)
- Guest limit of two guests per bedroom plus two additional guests per stay
- Limit of one booking per property per day
- Host must designate a local responsible contact person available 24 hours per day to address any concerns or requests for assistance. The local responsible contact person cannot be the host.
- Hosts are responsible for paying transient occupancy taxes pursuant to Chapter 3.32 of the Daly City Municipal Code
- Properties in the Coastal Zone: The new regulations will not become effective until the California Coastal Commission certifies an amendment to the City's local coastal program pursuant to Section 30514 of the California Public Resources Code. Please contact the Planning Division for more information and/or updates on this process.
How to Apply
A Short-Term Rental Permit and business license are both required to operate a short-term rental in Daly City. More information on eligibility, host and short-term rental regulations, and application requirements is available in the Short-Term Rentals Guide and Application (PDF). The required documents include:
- Short-Term Rental Permit Application (PDF)
- Payment for application fee. Payment methods include cash, check made payable to City of Daly City, or credit card (complete and submit Credit Card Authorization Form (PDF))
- Two documents showing evidence of primary residency including a valid state-issued Driver’s License or Identification Card andone of any of the following:
- Utility bill
- Property tax bill
- Credit card bill
- Voter registration
- Bank statement
- Notarized Supplemental Authorization Form (PDF) (if applicant is not the property owner)
- Notarized Short-Term Rentals Operator Primary Residence Certification and Indemnification and Waiver Agreement (PDF)
When you are ready to submit your application and the required documents, please contact the Planning Division at 650-991-8033.
|Short-Term Rental Permit (New)||$225.00|
|Short-Term Rental Permit (Renewal)||$142.50|
|Short-Term Rental Permit (Review exceeding 1 hour of staff time)||$165.00 per hour|
|Business License||Minimum $110.00 per year|
Expiration and Renewal
Both the business license and Short-Term Rental Permit will expire on September 30th of each year regardless on when the business license and Short-Term Rental Permit are issued and must be renewed annually. For example, business licenses and Short-Term Rental Permit issued on August 1, 2021 and January 1, 2022 will both expire on September 30, 2022.
Hosts may renew their business license with the Business License Division and Short-Term Rental Permit with the Planning Division on or after September 30th of each year.
For questions regarding Short-Term Rental Permits, please contact the Planning Division by calling 650-991-8033. For any questions regarding business licenses and transient occupancy taxes, please contact the Business License Division at 650-991-5700 or visit the Business License Division website.
The approved ordinance and staff reports and drafts of the ordinance from the City Council meetings are available for download below.
- Ordinance 1440 (PDF)
- Nov. 9, 2020 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Nov. 9, 2020 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Sept. 28, 2020 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Sept. 28,2020 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Sept. 1, 2020 City Council Committee Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Jan. 13, 2020 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Jan. 13, 2020 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Nov. 25, 2019 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Nov. 25, 2019 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Oct. 28, 2019 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Oct. 28, 2019 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- Oct. 14, 2019 Meeting Staff Report (PDF)
- Oct. 14, 2019 Proposed Ordinance (PDF)
- March 11, 2019 Study Session Staff Report (PDF)