If you would like additional information on any requirements provided, please telephone the Building Division at 650-991-8061.
- Egress Windows
- Smoke Alarms
- Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Safety Glazing for Windows
- Egress Window Opening Size Chart
- Sample Window Diagram
The installation or replacement of a window or windows requires a permit and inspection. This includes retrofit windows in existing frames.
Daly City issues window permits to the person doing the work. A homeowner who is capable of doing the work can obtain them, or they are issued to a California licensed contractor with a current Daly City business license.
Windows may be replaced in kind in bedrooms provided:
- The existing window(s) met egress requirements of the code in effect at time the building was built
- The window opening(s) have not been made smaller
- The window shall be made compliant with current code if it can be made so by changing its type or configuration. Structural or framing changes are not required, but may be made voluntarily. Lowering the sill height to the code maximum of 44 inches is recommended but not required
Example 1: a XOX bedroom window has only a 16 inch openable width. It shall not be replaced in kind. An XO window with a code complying 20 inch width is needed.
Example 2: a 2 foot wide by 4 foot tall single-hung window is removed. It shall not be replaced in kind. A casement window is needed that will provide the code required minimum 20 inch openable width, 24 inch height and 5.7 square foot area.
Current Egress Requirements
- To meet current egress requirements, all of the following must be met:
- A finished sill height above the finished floor of 44 inches or less
- A minimum opening of 5.7 square feet net clear area
- A minimum net clear opening dimension of 20 inches in width
- A minimum net clear opening dimension of 24 inches in height
Note: the minimum dimension in both directions will not meet the egress area requirement.
Changes in the size of the window opening will require the window(s) to meet current egress requirements. Window openings that are altered will require appropriate inspections such as:
- Scratch coat
- Shear wall
- Stucco wrap and wire
Security bars shall not be installed over egress windows unless the security bars open without the use of a key and without any special knowledge or effort.
- Work that exceeds $1,000 in valuation requires the installation of smoke alarms in every bedroom, on each level and centrally located in adjoining hallways
- The permit applicant/contractor/installer is responsible for the providing and installing the required smoke alarms
- Battery operated smoke alarms are adequate in existing rooms but cannot be used to replace hardwired smoke alarms
- Smoke alarms require inspection to verify installation, location and operation
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Starting July 1, 2011, California homeowners are required to install carbon monoxide alarms in all single-family dwellings (all other dwelling units must have carbon monoxide devices installed by January 1, 2013).
Carbon monoxide alarms must be approved by the state Fire Marshall.
Safety Glazing for Windows
- Glazing shall be tempered when it is less than 60 inches above the drain inlet in:
- Hot tubs
- Steam rooms
- Glazing in fixed or openable panels adjacent to a door, where the nearest exposed edge of the glazing in within a 24 inch arc of either vertical edge of the door in a closed position and where the bottom exposed edge is less than 60 inches above the walking surface, shall be tempered
- Glazing in walls enclosing stairway landings or within 5 feet of the bottom and top stairways where the bottom edge of the glass is less than 60 inches above a walking surface shall tempered
- Glazing in individual fixed or operable windows shall be safety type if the window in question meets all of the following conditions:
- The exposed area of the individual pane is greater than 9 square feet
- The exposed bottom edge is less than 18 inches above the floor
- The exposed top edge is greater than 36 inches above the floor
- There are one or more walking surfaces within 36 inches horizontally of the plane of the glazing
Egress Window Opening Size Chart
Note: blank areas within the chart image do not comply with California Building Code.