> City of Daly City > City Hall > Departments > Public Works > Permits, Fees, & Insurance Requirements

Permits, Fees, & Insurance Requirements

Encroachment Permit


When is an Encroachment Permit required?

An encroachment permit is required for any work performed in the public right-of-way. Some of the front yard behind a sidewalk may be in the public right-of-way. Call the Engineering Division at 650-991-8064 to check for property line information.

Examples of encroachments include, but are not restricted to the following:

  • Installation or repair of sidewalk, curb and/or gutter
  • Driveway approach
  • Installation of under sidewalk drains
  • Parking space obstructions
  • Street trenching
  • Installation or repair of sanitary sewer laterals or cleanouts
  • Installation or repair of water service laterals
  • Placement or monitoring of monitoring wells
  • Soil borings or other excavations
  • Activities requiring traffic control


How do I obtain an Encroachment Permit?

The property owner or the contractor performing the work must:

  1. complete and submit an Encroachment Permit Application
  2. provide certificates of public liability and property damage insurance with the City named as an additional insured
  3. pay applicable permit fees and post security deposits

Applications to install Wireless Communications Facilities must include the information required by the Wireless Communications Facilities Permit Submittal Checklist

For Information: Call (650) 991-8064



For any work within the following streets an encroachment permit must be filed with the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans):

  • State Route 82 - El Camino Real/Mission Street/San Jose Avenue
    1. El Camino Real (south of San Pedro Road)
    2. Mission Street (between San Pedro Road and San Jose Avenue)
    3. San Jose Avenue (north of Mission Street)
  • State Highway 1 (Cabrillo Freeway)
  • State Highway 35 (Skyline Freeway)
  • Interstate 280 (Junipero Serra Freeway)


Additional information on Caltrans permits

CalTrans District 4
111 Grand Avenue
6th Floor
P.O. Box 23660
Oakland, CA 94623
(510) 286-4435


National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Requirements

Grading Permit


When is a Grading Permit required?

A grading permit is required to grade, fill, excavate, store or dispose of soil and earth materials or to perform any other land-disturbing or land-filling activity which may cause erosion. All land-disturbing or land-filling activities or soil storage shall be undertaken in a manner designed to minimize surface runoff, erosion and sedimentation and to safeguard life, limb, property, and the public welfare.

A grading permit is NOT required if all the following criteria are met:

  • The site upon which land area is disturbed or filled is three thousand square feet or less
  • Natural and finished slopes are less than ten percent
  • Volume of soil or earth materials stored is fifty cubic yards or less
  • Rainwater runoff is diverted, either during or after construction, from an area smaller than one thousand five hundred square feet
  • No drainage way is blocked or has its stormwater-carrying capacities or characteristics modified


How do I obtain a Grading Permit?

The property owner or the contractor performing the work must:

  1. complete and submit a Grading Plan Review Application and pay applicable review fees
  2. complete and submit a Grading Permit Application
  3. pay applicable permit fees and post security deposits

For information: Call (650) 991-8064


Transportation and Hauling Permits


When is a Transportation Permit required?

A transportation permit is required for the operation of vehicles of a size, load weight or vehicle weight exceeding the maximum specified in the State of California Vehicle Code on certain City streets. A haul route permit is required to haul dirt or other materials on City streets.

How do I obtain a Transportation Permit?

The property owner or the contractor performing the work must:

  1. complete and submit an Encroachment Permit Application, including the identification and mapping of the transport route
  2. pay applicable permit fees 

For information: Call (650) 991-8064