The Daly City Police Department is dedicated to integrity, customer service, the rights of individuals and the needs of a constantly changing society.
The Police Department is organized into two Bureaus (Field Operations and Support Services) and three divisions (Field Operations, Investigations, and Technical Services).
A Daly City Police Officer performs law enforcement and crime prevention work, controls traffic flow and enforces state and local traffic regulations engaging in a variety of law enforcement activities during an assigned shift. This may include crime response, patrol, investigation, traffic enforcement, crime prevention and public safety, and case presentation. Patrol officers currently work either four ten hour shifts or three 12.5 hour shift on a team. Officers on other assignments may have different schedules.
The Police Officer Trainee is a temporary position with the City of Daly City; while in this temporary position, an incumbent is eligible only for Workers’ Compensation, Unemployment Insurance and Medicare.
The Police Officer Trainee will attend a P.O.S.T. Certified Academy. Upon successful completion of the academy, the trainee will be appointed to the Civil Service position of Police Officer.
At the time of full time, regular, sworn appointment to the Civil Service position of Police Officer, the employee will be informed of City employment rights and available benefits.
All qualifications for Police Officer apply to the Police Officer Trainee position except for completion of the Police Academy.
- Be 21 years of age.
- Possess a United States high school diploma or G.E.D. with qualifying scores, or have passed The California High School Proficiency Examination, or attained a two-year or four-year degree from a college or university accredited by the Western Association of Colleges and Universities.
- Possess a valid, Class C, California Driver's License by date of appointment.
- Possess a personal history which is compatible with the effective performance of sworn police duties.
- Have the physical strength, stamina and agility adequate to perform all duties of a Police Officer.
- Hear well enough to comprehend radio transmissions and long-range conversations. Have adequate written and oral communication skills to give instructions and explanations, conduct information-gathering interviews and write reports.
- Be able to deal with a variety of people and situations, exercising judgment, tact and self restraint.
- Have adequate reading skills to understand and interpret orders, bulletins, laws, codes and court decisions.
- Be willing to work irregular hours and days and at various locations in the City.
- Be able to attend work and perform duties on a regular and consistent basis.
As part of the selection process, the City will request a candidate to submit to a thorough background investigation, including fingerprinting as well as a polygraph exam, psychological evaluation, and medical exam as a condition of employment.
For further information on current openings, please contact the Daly City Human Resources Department.