Graffiti damages nationwide surpass an estimated $1 billion dollars per year. Not only does graffiti affect the property owner directly, but the surrounding neighborhood and community as a whole.
Combating graffiti is a two-step process:
Step 1: Report it
Call 911 to report vandalism in progress. If you want to report information about taggers anonymously, please call our anonymous tip line at 650-873-2467.
Even if you plan to clean up the graffiti yourself, make a report first. The best way to report graffiti is to call 650-991-8119 or 911 if it is a crime in progress.
Step 2: Remove it
If the graffiti is on your property, it is your responsibility to clean it up. Property owners who do not cooperate in keeping their property graffiti-free will be referred to the Department of Code Enforcement and may be subjected to penalties and fines.
Graffiti Removal Solvent
- The solvent works well on all surfaces, including stucco, natural brick and cement.
- When using on porous surfaces, such as brick or stucco, apply the solvent and let it soak, then agitate with a vinyl or wire brush and rinse with water. Best results are achieved when using a power washer to rinse solvent.
- Be careful when using the solvent on a painted surface, since it can remove the original paint. Best results on painted surfaces are achieved when removing small amounts of graffiti or graffiti from a marker.
- Retailers such as Lowe's©, Home Depot© or similar carry graffiti removal solvent.
Painting Over Graffiti
When graffiti is on a painted surface, the best course of action is to cover it with paint.
- Before painting over the graffiti, make sure it is reported and that City crews photographed it.
- First, put a primer coat over the graffiti. Follow up with a coat of exterior paint.
- The City of Daly City has the right to abate graffiti without notice to the property owner.