City of Daly City Social Media Policy
To establish the appropriate use of online social media, (including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Nextdoor, Nixle, Google+, and Yelp), for City related communication, business and marketing.
For purposes of this policy, Social Media sites are defined as services through which multiple users can easily publish and share a wide variety of content, including written commentary, pictures, and video / audio files via the Internet.
- The establishment and use of any Social Media site by any City department is subject to the approval of the City Manager or his/her designee.
- All City of Daly City Social Media sites shall adhere to applicable Federal, State and local laws as well as City policies and regulations.
- All Social Media sites administered by the City of Daly City are subject to the California Public Records Act. Any and all content on a Social Media site administered by the City of Daly City, including, but not limited to, subscribers and comments may be considered a public record and could be subject to public disclosure.
- City Social Media sites shall be maintained by designated City of Daly City employees and may be used for business purposes only. The City’s Social Media Policy governs use of any City administered Social Media site; regardless of whether the site(s) is (are) accessed from City computers or from computers outside the City.
- The Ralph M. Brown Act (Brown Act) requires that public agencies deliberate and take action openly. Content and/or comments made by a City Official via a Social Media site on city related issues within their jurisdiction could be subject to the requirements of the Brown Act. City Elected Officials should refrain from posting simultaneous content or comments on any City of Daly City related issue on a Social Media site.
- The City of Daly City reserves the right to restrict or remove any content that is in violation of any applicable law or the City’s Social Media Policy. Any content which is removed will be retained by the City for a reasonable period of time, and will include the time, date, and user name (or screen name) of the content originator, when possible.
- Whenever possible, all City of Daly City Social Media sites shall be linked via the appropriate technology to the City’s website for forms, documentation, online services and any other information or services necessary to conduct business with the City.
- The City of Daly City’s website: www.dalycity.org will remain the City’s primary repository of information regarding City operations, policy, and business.
- The City Manager or her designee and individual Department Heads are responsible for assigning staff to be responsible for updating, responding to inquiries, and keeping information current on Social Media sites.
- The objectives for participating in Social Media sites are to:
a) Disseminate information to our community and neighboring communities;
b) Demonstrate commitment to outreach and engagement and to monitor issues affecting the City; and
c) Build and engage an “online community” of residents and businesses.
- All staff time used on Social Media sites will be to conduct City business only.
The City of Daly City is committed to serving the online community in a civil and unbiased manner, and to ensure that this commitment is fulfilled, has established the following procedures within our Social Media policy with regard to comments and content from third parties posted on City administered Social Media sites.
- Social Media sites administered by the City of Daly City exist to share information about the City with our community.
- For Social Media sites that allow posts/comments, those sites are limited public forums, moderated by City staff to ensure content posted by third party users is appropriate. Content not in keeping with this goal as described below (inclusive but not exclusively) is subject to removal and or restriction by the City of Daly City:
a. Comments not related to the original topic, or containing random or unintelligible information.
b. Profane, obscene, violent, or sexual content.
c. Comments which promote or foster discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual orientation.
d. Threats to any individual or organization.
e. Comments in support of, or in opposition to, any political candidate, campaign, ballot measure, or proposition.
f. Advertisement or solicitation of business for any service or product.
g. Encouragement of illegal activity.
h. Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems.
i. Content that violates a legal ownership right or interest, such as a copyright.
j. Content that solicits members to “like” or otherwise join other Social Network sites.
- Comments made by members of the online community who are not employees of the City of Daly City do not necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of the City of Daly City.
- The City of Daly City reserves the right to deny access to a City of Daly City administered Social Media site to any individual who violates the City of Daly City’s Social Media Policy at any time, and without prior notice.
Code of Conduct for City Employees
All employees shall be provided with a copy of this policy and directed to familiarize themselves with it. Employees’ use of Social Media sites for official business is governed by this policy, as well as applicable City Rules and Regulations. Disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal, may be imposed for violation of this policy by employees of the City of Daly City. If findings warrant, disciplinary action will be initiated in accordance with all relevant sections of the City’s Personnel Rules and Regulations.