Business License Requirements
The following forms are necessary to obtain a business license.
- A Business License Tax Certificate must be obtained prior to conducting business in the City (Code 5.04.030).
- Any person operating a business from a private home or residence must obtain a home occupation permit and business license (Code 17.36.050).
- Any property owner renting out Residential or Commercial property including single family homes must obtain a license (Code 5.16.050).
- The use of any public sidewalk as a place of business for the sale of merchandise is prohibited (Code 5.88.020).
- Any person soliciting in the City must obtain a Business License Tax Certificate for the company that is being represented, and a Solicitor's Permit for each solicitor (Code 5.04.010)
The Business License Year begins October 1st and ends September 30th of the following year. In order to process all Business License Tax Certificate Applications, the completed application and any other forms and information necessary must be returned with the proper fee enclosed.
THE MINIMUM $101.00 TAX IS NONREFUNDABLE.
The City may require inspection of the business location to ensure compliance with code requirements. All Federal, State, County and City license and permit numbers, applicable to the type of business being applied for, must be submitted to the Business License Division before the Certificate will be released. The Certificate will be held for a minimum of 30 days from the date of application to allow all Departments/Divisions time to review for compliance and to notify the applicant of any non-compliance found. If after release of the certificate the business does not conform to all requirements, the certificate may be revoked.
Although the City will make an effort to remind you of renewal requirements on a timely basis, it is your responsibility to pay your Business License tax on time each year.
On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law Senate Bill 1186 which adds a state fee of $1.00 on any applicant for a local business license or renewal. Effective January 1, 2013 this fee will be required from all new business licenses or renewals. The purpose of the fee is to provide a funding source for increased disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with the federal and state disability laws.
Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:
- The Division of the State Architect at www.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/Home.aspx
- The Department of Rehabilitation at www.rehab.cahwnet.gov
- The California Commission on Disability Access at www.ccda.ca.gov
|for more information please contact:
Department of Finance
Business License Division
333 - 90th Street
Daly City, CA 94015-1895
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.