Step 8: Design Review
The Design Review Committee will meet with an applicant on an informal basis to discuss the design features of a project. (Time estimate: Three Weeks)
A Design Review Permit is required pursuant to Section 17.45 of the Daly City Zoning Ordinance. A Design Review Committee or DRC consists of two Councilmembers appointed by the Mayor. The Committee will meet with an applicant to discuss a projects architecture, landscaping and site design. The following is a list of projects that trigger Design Review:
1. Residential projects consisting of four or more dwelling units.
2. New commercial projects which exceed 2,000 square feet in area or which are located on lots of 2,500 square feet in area or greater.
3. All new industrial projects where the improvements are visible from off-site.
4. All projects subject to a discretionary permit from the city.
5. Projects within the Daly City Redevelopment Project Area that is designated for design review as part of conceptual approval
6. Projects subject to the Mission Street Urban Design Plan, the Colma BART station Area Specific Plan, the Peninsula Gateway Specific Plan, the Sullivan Corridor Specific Plan Area or within the City's Resource Protection District.
Landscape review is required pursuant to Section 17.41 of the Daly City Zoning Ordinance. Landscape review is required for all new and rehabilitated landscaping in the city except the following:
A. "Homeowner-provided" landscaping for single-family projects except when subject to a Discretionary Permit, including a Design Review Permit;
B. Any project with a landscaped area less than 1,000 square feet except when subject to a Discretionary Permit, including a Design Review Permit.