Certificates of Occupancy


There shall be a final inspection and approval of all buildings and structures when completed and ready for occupancy and use (California Building Code Section 108.4).

No building or structure shall be used or occupied until the building official has issued a certificate of occupancy (CBC 109.1).

Daly City requires a certificate of occupancy (CO), an approved final inspection for single-family dwellings or additions, or a temporary certificate of occupancy (TCO) before any building or portion thereof is used or occupied. This includes moving in furniture, personal effects, stock or merchandise.

Certificate of Occupancy

To obtain a CO or final approval for single-family dwelling related permits, obtain final inspections from all jurisdictions that issued permits. This may include the Building Division, Fire Department, Engineering Division and Bayshore Sanitation District. If it involves a new building, and there was design review, the Planning Division needs to perform an inspection. If there were special inspections or was structural observation, final reports must be provided. When all jurisdictions have approved the work and final reports have been provided, a CO will be issued and final inspection approval will be made.

Please note that while certificates of occupancy are not normally issued for single-family dwelling related permits, they are issued for secondary units.

In some cases, it may be necessary to move in personal possessions, stock merchandise or otherwise use a building before the final approvals are obtained. In this case, a temporary certificate of occupancy may be considered. A TCO may be issued when the City Building Official determines the building is safe for the proposed temporary use or occupancy.

Temporary Certificate of Occupancy

To obtain a TCO:

  • Inspections must be made by all jurisdictions that issued permits including any or all of Building, Fire, Engineering and the Bayshore Sanitation District.
  • Obtain a final inspection from the Planning Division if the project involved design review.
  • Complete the application for Temporary Certificate of Occupancy. Attach final inspection correction notices, special inspection and structural observation final reports and a copy of the job card. Submit them to the Chief Building Inspector for review and processing.
  • Include a non-refundable check in the amount of $250 for processing the request.
  • A deposit in the amount of 1.25 times the value of the outstanding work is required. This can be a cash deposit, payable by cash, check or credit card or a bond.

If you need additional information, please telephone the Building Division at (650) 991-8061.