Help Keep Fats, Oils and Grease out of the Sewer
Cooking Fat, Oils and Grease are very harmful to the City sewer system. They can build up in the sewer pipes over time, clogging the lines and causing blockages and sewer backups into homes resulting in an unpleasant mess that can cost hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars to clean up. Who pays? You do, through higher utility bills.
Please help us prevent these problems by doing the following:
- DON’T pour cooking oil, grease or greasy food down the drain
- DON’T use hot water and soap to wash grease down the drain, because it will cool and harden in the sewer line
- DO pour cooled grease into disposable containers and into the garbage
- DO use a paper towel to wipe away residual grease or oil on dishes, pots and pans before washing them
- DO recycle cooking oil and grease for free at DWWR!
Daly City residents can recycle their used cooking oil and grease for free at the Wastewater Treatment Plant, located at 153 Lake Merced Blvd in Daly City. DWWR has procured a 247-gallon recycling station, where residents can dispose of their used cooking oil and grease instead of washing it down the sink.
Contact the Department of Water and Wastewater Resources at (650) 991-8200 to get more information or to set up an appointment for drop-off.