> City of Daly City > City Hall > City News & Announcements > News Archives > 2003 News Archives > Kitchen Fires Can Be Avoided

Kitchen Fires Can Be Avoided

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE May 30, 2003
Media Contact:  
Ron Myers, Daly City Fire Chief (650) 991-8138
David Dewey, Daly City Fire Marshal (650) 991-8150

DALY CITY FIRE CHIEF:
'KITCHEN FIRES CAN BE AVOIDED!'

Daly City - Cooking is the leading cause of fires in the United States. In Daly City, one in every four fires starts in the kitchen, and most of them are caused by an unattended stovetop. While the number of fires has decreased, cooking remains the leading cause of fires in Daly City.

"Kitchen fires could be avoided," Daly City Fire Chief Ron Myers emphasized. Cooking mishaps are preventable if residents follow simple reminders, he added.
  • Never leave a pot or pan unattended on the stove. If you have to leave, even for just a few seconds, TURN OFF the burner.
  • Do not wear loose or long sleeves while cooking. If your clothes catch on fire, stop where you are, drop to the ground and roll over and over until the flames are extinguished.
  • NEVER pour water on a grease fire. Slide a metal lid on the pot or pan to smother the fire.
  • Turn pot handles towards the back to prevent them from getting bumped or grabbed.
  • Always use potholders when cooking or handling hot foods.
  • Clean grease and food off the stove after each use.
  • When cooking in the microwave, use only microwave-safe cooking containers. Be careful when uncovering micro waved dishes; trapped steam can scald your skin.
  • Never put anything metal in your microwave.
  • If a small fire starts in your microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the microwave.
  • The kitchen is not a place for young children. Never cook with a child in your arms.
  • If children need to be in the kitchen, seat them away from the cooking areas.
  • If possible, use only the back burners of the stove.
  • Allow children to use appliances only with adult supervision.
  • Do not use ice or butter on a burn. Apply cool running water gently on a burn for at least 5 minutes.
  • Never remove charred clothing. Pulling away charred clothing will likely pull away burnt skin causing further damage.